Our year at Forest school
What is Forest school?
- Forest School is a Scandinavian approach to learning that facilitates hands on learning opportunities, through regular interactions within a natural or woodland environment, over a period of time.
- Sessions are learner led and follow children’s ideas, curiosities and areas of interest. This fosters positive self-esteem, builds confidence and independence and promotes intrinsic motivation.
- Children are enabled to asses and manage taking supported risks through appropriate challenge and the use of real tools. Developing reasoning and problem-solving skills, supporting social and communication skills, responsibility and resilience.
- A sense of belonging is promoted, through positive relationships and closer connection with the natural world.
- Forest school takes place all year round, with the children going out in all weathers, exploring and learning from the seasons and environmental changes.
- At the end of each session children are invited to review their time and share their experience with each other. This process of reflection supports understanding and transference of new knowledge and skills and promotes emotional intelligence and communication skills.
- Sessions are planned and run by qualified level 3 Forest School Leaders who are first aid trained.
The sessions will last for approximately two hours each and we will try to offer a glimpse of some of the experiences that can be offered at Forest School and maybe we can try to answer any questions you may have about the Forest School ethos and how or why it can benefit children.
Everyone is welcome but so we can ensure we have enough resources please could you sign up on one of the forms around the nursery. If you have any questions please feel free to ask your key worker or Julian (star room).
We look forward to seeing you in the woods!